Half the Serving

I felt you before I saw you.
Amid the throng of partygoers
     huddled around the table
     half of each driven to grab the drumstick
          and in a bite tear all flesh off the bone
     the other half fettering the one
          reminding it of the eons
          it took those unwearied hands to work stones
          from tools for smashing skulls
          to polished spires called forks.
Amid the other half-beasts
I felt your heat.
From the hodgepodge of smells
      wafting from meat, spices, sweets
      the she-hound in me sniffed, singled out
      the scent of your sweat.
My head turned. There you were
      the smile on your face that of First Man
      the first time his eyes fell
      on his pulled-out rib.
Nice shirt, you said.

At once I hated words. They watered down 
      the purest of intentions
          the most primal of needs.
I preferred the eyes and their silent speech.
Yours, for one, so round and brown
     were staring beneath the cloth
     that mantled my mounds
     yearning for them to suckle
          your mouth
               at the moment
          the mouth of your flesh and blood
               when you’d taken me to your cavern.
At once I hated those unwearied hands
     for forging forks, for I had to say why-thank-you
     and crack some self-effacing joke
     instead of taking your calloused palms
     and letting them own
     what your eyes could only ache for.

We inched our way to the banquet
     a couple strolling by the seashore
          waves lapping at feet
          the setting sun casting a pale glow
               on blood-flushed cheeks.
Rice, chicken, steak, pasta—with them
      we filled our plates.
And we came to the fish.
The scaly creatures had been scorched whole
      each big enough to fill a pair of stomachs.
You drove the tines across one
      hacking white tissues with tiny strokes
      the head jerking, the fins flapping
          coming to life
          as the spine snapped in two.
The head you lay on your plate.
The tail you left impaled on your fork.
I knew it right away: half for First Man
     the other for Rib.

I needed not utter it. All the same
     I did: Give it to me!
Your head turned, but not my way.
Your ears, I thought, must have missed
     the sweet plea from my luscious lips.
The voices around must have drowned out mine.
Or was it that? You might be facing the other way
     but your eyes were left on me.
It must be, then, the fork forger in you
     scared that the dragonfly would flee
     when your fingers were a hairbreadth away
     from pinching its tail.
I wipe away your cares. I gave you a smile
     no less tempting than an apple
     ripe for the picking. I said, Hey.
You answered, Here, sweetie
     and put the fish on the plate
     of the girl on your other side.

I had not so much as gaze
     on the black bag lying in the corner
     until the device it contained
     blasted in my face.
She had been there, too, by the seashore
     her eyes and yours not meeting
          her fingers and yours not intertwined
               her sleeve not grazing your bare arms.
It was enough that the sand on her wake
     told of a pair of feet
     dancing off into the sunset.
So I had to crack some self-effacing joke.
I had to show you the half of me
     that took the world as a stage
          for vaudeville shows
     while the other half flogged itself
          for forgetting that First Man and Rib
          had been plucked from the grove
          and thrown into a zoo
          in a heap of banished couples
               who had to find each other
               in a game with muddled rules.